Using the best centipede grass seed is a brilliant decision when you are located in warm areas. Besides having an excellent look, this grass offers the advantage of low maintenance and extreme heat tolerance. Most of the varieties of seeds available in the market contain excellent conditions.
However, the centipede grass seeds excel for their flexibility to grow in sunny and shaded areas. Also, for the increased resistance to the already natural strength of this grass. Therefore, all the efforts to find the best option will return great benefits in the medium and long term when it comes to saving your budget for maintenance and reseeding.
When Should You Seed Centipede Grass?
Centipede is a warm-season grass. Therefore, it flourishes during warm seasons. Also, the best conditions to seed it is during warm seasons. To seed this grass, the soil must have a temperature that starts at 60 degrees.
Some brands recommend that the temperature starts at 70 degrees. Considering this temperature, the best seasons are the summer and early Spring. When you seed during those seasons
How to plant centipede grass seed
If you are planting a new lawn, follow the next steps:
- Select the type of centipede grass for your area/zone
- Till the area where you want to plant the seeds
- Spread the seeds. You can do it by hand or using a spreader
- Water the area according to the instructions of the manufacturer
- Wait some weeks to start adding fertilizers
If you are reseeding, follow the same steps except for the tilling step.
Top 5 centipede grass seed (BestSeller)
Choosing the Centipede Grass Seed
Since the centipede grass is a resistant grass with many extra features, when choosing the seeds, you should focus on aspects that enhance their natural features. Below is a list of the best options to consider.
1. Gulf Kist Centipede Grass Seed for a Dense Green Lawn
These are grass seeds that will give you thick blades with a gorgeous lush cover. But it doesn´t come naturally. The reason to achieve such a great grass consists of the special coating of the seeds. It allows them to survive under the most harmful conditions. Also, they have better germination rates due that the coating allows the better seed to soil contact.
Although a big brand does not manufacture these grass seeds, it is constantly proving that they offer incredible results.
- Coated seeds that establish a microenvironment that stimulates vigorous growth
- Extra protection against fungus
- Extra retention of water due to the coating
- It grows slow
- One pound of seeds covers up to 4,000 sq. ft
- Once established, the grass requires to feed twice a year
- Product dimensions: 8.2 x 4.6 x 1.8 inches
- Item weight: 1.05 pounds
- Manufacturer: Woerner Turf
The coating of these seeds adds a necessary element that contributes greatly to obtain better grass. In the end, the resulting centipede grass requires less mowing, less fertilizer, and less care. In other words, it is a budget-friendly option with the highest quality and standards.
2. Certified TifBlair Centipede Grass Seed – Direct from The Farm
This product offers certified and coated seeds that come directly from the farm. These three conditions guarantee maximum results. And, they make that the centipede grass that the seeds produce has the qualities of the best varieties. Among them, the new grass is highly resistant and tolerant of extreme weather conditions.
Also, its faster coverage allows that you can enjoy a green carpet of the most amazing grass in a shorter time. These certified seeds provide you with the best of centipede grass but multiplied by two.
- The seeds are coated to increase their germination rate and survival
- 1 lb bag covers up to 4,000 sq. ft
- It grows under full sun or partial shade
- The soil temperature requires to be 60° or higher before seeding
- Recommended for Southern coastal areas and upper transition zone
- It offers faster coverage than other common centipede grasses
- Product dimensions: 8 x 5.4 x 1.5 inches
- Item weight: 1 pound
- Manufacturer: Patten Seed Company
This might be considered a premium pack of seeds due to all the qualities that it has. So, if you are looking for the greatest, this is a great option to consider. Besides, the content has great coverage, and the price remains competitive.
3. Scotts EZ Seed Patch and Repair Centipede Grass
This is a revolutionary seeding mix that took a step ahead for centipede grass. That is because it contains unique materials that maximize the absorption of water and fertilize during the growing process. Since the seeds are already high-quality, the chances to obtain a wonderful centipede lawn in record time is guaranteed. And, those features also make it ideal for patch and repair.
- Seeds have high-performance quality
- It includes mulch that acts like a sponge to absorb 6x its weight in water
- Suitable to grow in full sun and partial shade
- It includes slow-release fertilizer that boosts the germination of the seeds
- Protective layer that keeps seeds away from harmful diseases
- Tackifier to avoid seeds from washing away
- It grows in acidic soil and tolerates scorching heat
- Product dimensions: 6.13 x 16 x 9.38 inches
- Item weight: 10.28 pounds
- Manufacturer: Scotts
Although it is initially advertised to cover patches, this centipede grass seeds work incredibly well for seeding a full lawn. Having the support of the Scotts brand makes it even better than it is a 3-in-1 product. So, if you are looking for high-quality and comfortable with fewer steps, this is the product you need to get.
4. Mayberry Centipede Seed
Mayberry seeds offer an excellent presentation for extended areas. It works particularly well to avoid annoying weeds. And, they thrive incredibly well either under the sun or partial shade. Although it is not a renowned brand, it has a high percentage of germination and seems to be working really well.
This variety is so strong and aggressive that it can choke out other weeds. It means that you will have an extraordinary grass.
- It is 99% weed-free and chokes out existing weeds
- 6 lbs of content cover 24,000 sq. ft
- Seeds grow under sun or partial shade
- It has low fertilization requirements
- Product dimensions: 5.5 x 4.5 x 10 inches
- Item weight: 6 pounds
- Manufacturer: Ragan & Massey, Inc.
There is no question that if you have an extended area where to plant centipede grass, this is one of the best options. Firstly, the package offers an incredible price for a lot of products. Secondly, it fights against weeds, which allows you to control the extended area more easily. Despite the size and the amount of product, it doesn´t lack any of the best features of centipede grass.
5. Pennington Centipede Seed/Mulch
Grass seed and mulch together in one product is like a marriage made in heaven! And this is what this product offers. Also, the fact that is offered by the renowned brand Pennington adds even more value.
As the centipede grass is a slow-growing variety, the mulch adds very needed protection during the time it takes to germinate. It helps to improve the structure of the soil as well as the drainage. In the end, it makes the garden look better and more attractive.
- 2-in-1 product with seeds and mulch
- Seeds are coated with Penkoted technology
- Mulch is Bio-170 Organic
- It produces a dense lawn
- It grows well in sunny areas
- The content of the pack covers up to 2,000 sq. ft
- It is 99.9% weed-free
- Excellent traffic and drought tolerance
- Product dimensions: 3.55 x 7.5 x 16 inches
- Item weight: 5 pounds
- Manufacturer: Pennington Seed
If your soil and climate conditions are not the best, this product is an excellent option. That is because it includes the much to protect the area. Also, the seeds are coated with Penkoted technology, which guarantees higher protection. It is perfect for your budget and to avoid unnecessary work.
When you opt for buying centipede grass seeds, you must take into consideration some aspects. This is a great opportunity to evaluate the conditions and location of your land. That is because many centipede seeds are enhanced to develop some extra features.
As a result, you can find that you can seed centipede grass in some places that traditionally were not a good choice for it. Check below the most important aspect you should check.
Centipede is a warm-season grass, and it doesn´t tolerate freezing easily. To counteract this problem, some manufacturers are adding coatings that offer additional resistance. This is especially vital if you live in the Southern area that is closer to the North. Otherwise, you take the risk of losing your seed during that period.
Although centipede seeds respond well to poor soils, other features determine the viability of the soil to receive this grass. Among them, Centipede grows and develops better in low PH soils,
This variety of grass mixes really well with many types of grasses. A blend is helpful when you want to keep the green of your lawn during the entire year. To do so, you need to mix it with cool-season grasses like Bermuda or similar.
Content of the Pack / Coverage
Manufacturers have their own recommendations regarding the number of seeds you need to plant. However, the process remains similar from one brand to another, and the standard is about 1,000 sq. ft per every 1 lb.
Sun and Shade
Initially, centipede grass grows better under the sun. However, some seeds are also tolerant of shade. In this sense, check the label of the product if you have a space that is mixed with shaded areas to make sure you can seed centipede there and succeed.
Overall, centipede grass has good tolerance to traffic that includes children and pets. And, some seeds enhance even more such tolerance. Therefore, if you plan to use the space for parties, events, gatherings, and other similar activities, then you should check one of those seeds that offer higher tolerance.
Q – Does centipede grass reseed itself?
A – Yes, it may reseed itself. When it grows enough, it can produce racemes that also produce seeds. Then, they drop from the grass and can disperse to the surrounding areas.
Q – What grasses can I mix with centipede grass?
A – You can mix Centipede with both warm and cool-season grass. If you want coverage during the cool-season, then opt for a warm-season grass that can flourish during these months while Centipede rests.
Q – How long does it take the centipede grass to grow?
A – It starts germinating in about 14-21 days. However, to obtain full coverage, it might take 1 year or more. These times may vary according to the climate, the rain, and the temperature of the soil.
Planting Centipede Grass Seed
The best centipede grass seed will offer you an amazingly lush and green lawn. And somehow that might be considered priceless. When you select the proper centipede grass for your soil, you have the chance to add the advanced features that benefit your lawn in the long run. Although it is a warm-season grass, it still combines well with other varieties that will let it rest during cold seasons.