Taking care of plants starts from the very beginning of the process, and it shouldn´t be neglected. Due to that, it is important that you try to find the best fertilizer for seedlings. They assure that the growing process provides all the necessary nutrients. Therefore, when they are grown up, they will be able to produce the best products, and your time and effort will be rewarded.
Table of Contents
- What do I feed my seedlings?
- When should I start fertilizing my seedlings?
- Top 5 Fertilizer for Seedlings List
- Choosing Fertilizer for Seedlings Details Review
- Buying Guide
- Final Words
What do I feed my seedlings?
The best way to feed them is by using fertilizer for seedlings. Many people are not aware that these specific products exist and use other fertilizers that burn and kill their little plants. They come in liquid and granular presentations and include many extra features that can fit specific needs of soils, climates, specific varieties and types of plants.
When should I start fertilizing my seedlings?
This is a very common question. Unfortunately, many ask it when they have already planted their fruits and veggies and have missed a golden opportunity. Although each product might include different recommendations, ideally, you should start right after you plant the seeds.
Some granular presentations recommend mixing the soil with the fertilizer before planting the seeds. Others recommend waiting until the first leaves appear. In any case, it is necessary to start early.
Top 5 Fertilizer for Seedlings List
Choosing Fertilizer for Seedlings Details Review
As we know, you value your time, and there is a wide selection of fertilizer for seedlings. Due to that, we prepared below a list of the fertilizer for seedlings, and you will only need to check the special features of your soil and plants.
1. Espoma SS8 8-Quart Organic Seed Starter
Espoma organic fertilizer contains a unique blend of nutrients that can make your seedlings and cutting thrive. When you want to make sure that your little plants develop the best features, Espoma SS8 8-Quart Organic Seed Starter is among the best choices.
The reason starts with a proprietary blend that contains as much as 11 strains of the fungus mycorrhizae. It improves the ability of your plants to absorb water and nutrients as well as strengthen the roots. In the end, the plants reduce their level of drought stress, and you can transplant them safely if necessary.
- Premium blend that contains only natural ingredients
- The formula is suitable for all the varieties of cuttings and seedlings
- It specially formulated to promote root growth
- The content includes peat moss, perlite, and peat humus
- The formula is enhanced with Espoma´s proprietary blend called Myco-tone
- It is available in 8 qt. bags
- Product dimensions: 8 x 5 x 5 inches
- Item weight: 2.99 pounds
- Manufacturer: Espoma
Adding this organic fertilizer to your seedlings or cuttings minimizes the risk of losing them. Its formula is safe and provides an important part of the nutrients that they need. However, the lack of NPK ingredients might be an obstacle if the requirements of your soil demand them. Still, it is a great way to nurture your little plants whether you use it alone or combine it with other nutrients.
When you care about the environment and believe in sustainably grow for your little plants, this fertilizer can offer the solution. That is because Dr. Earth Premium Gold All Purpose Fertilizer extracts the best of natural intelligence. And, it created a premium product that will let you rest assured that you are not harming the planet.
Also, it added all the necessary elements to enhance the growth of your plants. This is to say that it contains different types of nutrients, is safe and non-GMO, and, most importantly, it claims it is blended with love. And, it won´t leave you doubts about its authenticity because it is highly certified as organic from renowned institutions.
- The formula contains multi-minerals, carbohydrates, proteins, humic acids, and trace elements.
- It is made in the USA
- It doesn´t contain toxic ingredients as all its ingredients are feed grade
- Handcrafted from humans
- It contains TruBiotic formula that includes soil microbes and mycorrhizae
- Product dimensions: 6.8 x 4.8 x 11.4 inches
- Item weight: 4 pounds
- Manufacturer: Dr. Earth, Inc.
If you want to be sure that you obtain an organic fertilizer, this is the option to get. You also get lucky because the manufacturers didn´t settle for the organic feature but added many other benefits. They maximize the fertilizer, and the benefits go to your plants.
3. Jobe´s Organics All Purpose Granular Fertilizer
When you are ready to provide nothing but the best to your plants from the beginning of their growing process, it is an excellent way to start! This is a fast-acting fertilizer that also contributes to improving sol conditions in the long run.
Those results are possible due to the exclusive proprietary blend developed by Jobe´s. The granular presentation adds new advantages to make it long-lasting and easier to absorb through the roots for maximum efficiency.
- All-purpose fertilizer that makes it suitable for veggies, flowers, trees, plants, and fruits
- It is a granular fertilizer
- Contains the exclusive Biozome that includes the microorganism “archaea.”
- Fast-acting fertilizer that can break down the material to speed up the results
- It helps to resist insects, disease, and droughts while the plants are growing
- NPK nutrients ratio is 4-4-4
- Contributes to the long-term soil quality
- The formula is renewable and biodegradable
- It doesn´t contain synthetic chemicals
- Product dimensions: 3.5 x 7 x 12 inches
- Item weight: 4 pounds
- Manufacturer: Easy Gardener
This fertilizer contains all the good elements that make it reliable as an organic product. And what makes it excels is its capacity to get mixed and improve the soil conditions. Therefore, if you are looking for a product with long-term benefits for your plants, this is the best product for that.
4. Burpee Natural Organic All-Purpose Granular Plant Food
Plants get happy when they receive all the nutrients that allow them to grow healthy and strong. And, Burpee Natural Organic All-Purpose Granular Plant Food gives you a chance to help them get happy. Since it is multipurpose, you can enjoy its benefits, whether you have a uniform set of plants of fruits, veggies, ad others. But you can also have a mix of them and use the same fertilizer for them all.
- Multipurpose fertilizer that can be used for fruits, veggies, trees, shrubs, and containers
- The long-lasting effect that perdures up to 3 months
- It contains major and minor nutrients
- Immediate release of microbes and continues working for 3 months after that
- Organic transparency certified by the Organic Material Review Institute (OMRI)
- It is made in the USA
- Product dimensions: 4 x 10.25 x 12.5 inches
- Item weight: 4 pounds
- Manufacturer: Burpee
It has all the best features that a seedling fertilizer may have and offers an unbeatable price. However, the bag is smaller than other options, and you might require to buy more products if you have a bigger garden.
5. Miracle-Gro Quick Start Planting & Transplant Starting Solution (Liquid)
- Liquid fertilizer in a concentrated formula
- It requires mixing with water before applying it
- Reduces transplant shock
- Versatile as it is recommended for trees, seedlings, shrubs, flowers, and vegetables
- Product dimensions: 3.45 x 5.85 x 10.37 inches
- Item weight: 3.65 pounds
- Manufacturer: Miracle-Gro
Liquid fertilizers are generally easier and more practical to apply, and this product is not an exception. Despite it requires frequent applications, the content of 48 Oz. guarantees a big provision to cover many of them.
Despite this selection of fertilizers that can make your seedlings thrive, It is still important that you consider specific aspects of each one of them. Also, your lifestyle and location play a major role when you make your decision. So, check below what you need to check to ensure you make the best decision.
Liquid or granular
Fertilizers for seedlings come in liquid and granular presentations. Nowadays, liquid presentations are the most popular due that they are easier to apply. However, both presentations have their pros and cons that you need to consider before you buy one of them.
On the one hand, the liquid fertilizer delivers all its nutrients quicker and distributes the content more evenly. On the other hand, granular fertilizers are usually slow-release, and the content may concentrate in just one area and burn the roots. Therefore, you need to be more careful when you apply it.
Also, due to the popularity of liquid fertilizers, it is common that you find many more options with a variety of features. But granular can still be a great option due to its high and concentrated level of nutrients.
Frequency of application
The frequency of application varies from one fertilizer to another. You can find that some need weekly, monthly, or every 14 days application. In this sense, you should consider the time you are willing to dedicate yourself to take care of your plants while they are growing.
Overall, you can find high-quality products for any frequency of use. The most important thing is that follow the instructions of the specific fertilizer. Otherwise, you might burn the plant or miss the benefits for not applying it in the right proportion.
Organic fertilizers are on the rise. And, if you are planting fruits or veggies at home, it would not be strange that you care about the environment. In this sense, you are lucky that the offer for organic has expanded considerably during the last years. Precisely, that makes it important that you try to find some sort of certification to assure that you obtain a real organic option.
Prices for the smallest packages start under $10 and go up between $20 and $30. Consider the size of the package as this influences the price. Depending on the features of the product, you can find different prices. Organic fertilizers tend to be pricier, but there are some options with the lowest prices too.
Q – When should I start fertilizing my seedlings?
A – The process may start as soon as you plant it or wait until you notice the first leaves. You can check the instructions of each product for better reference.
Q – How do you put fertilizer on seedlings?
A – If you have a liquid fertilizer, you only need to dilute a proper amount in water and water the plant with it. If you have a granular fertilizer, you need to mix it with the soil.
How & When to Water & Fertilize Indoor Seedlings
The best stage to feed your plants is when they are in the growing process. Due to that, it is important to select the best fertilizer for seedlings to ensure they get al the nutrients they need to thrive. If you opt for one of those, you increase your chances to succeed.