Kentucky Bluegrass is one of the favorite grasses for Americans. And it is not fortunate. That is because the best Kentucky Bluegrass seed provides a sensational aspect of the grass. That makes it lush, thick, and with a deep emerald green/blue color.
Although it is a cool-season grass, it still can be planted in warmer areas. By mixing their seeds with other varieties, it is possible to obtain many of its benefits in many different climates.
What is Kentucky Bluegrass Seed Used For?
These seeds are the base to plant Kentucky Bluegrass varieties. This type of grass is suitable for lawns of any size, recreational parks, sports fields, and similar. The main reason behind all these uses is its extraordinary tolerance to extreme temperatures and traffic.
The Best Time to Plant Kentucky Bluegrass Seed
Kentucky Bluegrass seed should be planted during the Fall. This season provides the right low temperature that the seeds require to germinate. However, it is also possible to do it in Spring or at the end of the Summer. In these cases, the seeds will have the chance to find the right temperature during some days.
How to Plant Kentucky Bluegrass Seed
Planting Kentucky Bluegrass seed does not differ very much from other varieties. In any case, the quality of the product is essential to guarantee that they germinate properly. The basic steps to plant them would be the following:
- Check that you are in the season mentioned above
- Prepare your soil and start by killing the weeds
- Detach and aerate the lawn
- Apply the seeds using a spreader. If you are overseeding, consider using a rake at the end of the process
- Water the soil according to the instructions
Top 5 Kentucky Bluegrass Seed In 2021 (Bestseller)
In a hurry? Check the bestseller top Kentucky Bluegrass seed from Amazon.
Choosing the Best 5 Kentucky Bluegrass Seed (Our Picks)
Once you know the type of grass, you may obtain, it is easier to choose Kentucky bluegrass seed for your lawn. Below the best options and varieties that cover all the scenarios that you can find.
1. Scotts Turf Builder Grass Seed Kentucky Bluegrass Mix
It is not strange that the brand Scotts has developed premium seeds for Kentucky Bluegrass. And, this is very fortunate because it was able to add its most advanced technology to make it even more resistant.
- Seeds include Scotts´ WaterSmart PLUS coating technology that helps to keep moisture twice longer than seeds without a coat.
- The coat protects against diseases
- It tolerates full sun and light shade
- The content covers up to 4.660 sq. ft
- Recommended for Northern areas
- The seeds produce grass with fine blade texture
- New grass starts growing in about 7-10 days
- The mix contains perennial ryegrass, jumpstart Kentucky bluegrass, silver dollar perennial ryegrass, and Kent creeping red fescue
Product dimensions: 4.5 x 9.5 x 15 inches
Item weight: 1.4 pounds
Manufacturer: Scotts – Mixing Warehouse Items
This is an ideal choice for areas with high levels of traffic. The WaterSmart PLUS coating technology increases, even more, the natural resistance of this type of grass. So, if you have children, pets, practice sports, and similar, this is the option to take.
2. Outsidepride Midnight Kentucky Bluegrass Lawn Grass Seed
This is a pure content of seeds of Midnight Kentucky Bluegrass that guarantees a dark green carpet with extraordinary features. That is among the reasons to be one of the favorite varieties of Kentucky Bluegrass.
But its benefits don´t end there because such an amazing appearance is also possible due to its high resistance to external elements. Moreover, this product is compatible with many other varieties so you and mix it well in your yard or park.
- It produces emerald dark blue-green color grass
- Recommended for home lawns, athletic fields, golf courses and parks
- It performs better in soils with a PH between 5.5 and 8.0
- Available in packs of 5lbs and 10lbs
- Slow growth habit
- Drought tolerant and strong disease resistant
Product dimensions: 12 x 12 x 3 inches
Item weight: 5.09 pounds
If the appearance of your lawn is your priority, this is definitively a variety of seeds to consider. The results are extraordinary and stand out among many other Kentucky Bluegrass varieties. Since the content is not a bend but a selection of pure seeds of the same variety, the results are very predictable.
3. Midnight Kentucky Bluegrass Seed (Certified)
Midnight Kentucky Bluegrass seeds are already a great choice. And if you add a certification, it definitively increases its value. Such certification assures that seeds are properly controlled and have the highest quality. The content is for these seeds is enough for 3,000 sq. Ft and the price is reasonable.
- It covers 10lbs per 3,000 sq. ft
- Seeds are officially certified to guarantee they were properly tested and contain what is claimed in the package
- Mix well with Fescue Grass
- The grass results in a green/blue deep color
Item weight: 10 pounds
If you want a guarantee of high-quality Kentucky Bluegrass seeds, then this is the product you should try. You will enjoy a lush and thick carpet-like grass and also all the incredible features of this type of grass.
4. Barenbrug Turf Blue Pro Kentucky Bluegrass Seed
The most demanding areas also require the best and most resistant variety of grass, and that is included herein Barenburg Turf Blue Pro. It contains a blend of 4 of the best varieties that are proved to perform better than any others.
As a result, this product has a high tolerance for traffic and drought. Meanwhile, it doesn´t lose any of its magnificent features to grow as a wonderful green carpet of the most beautiful grass.
- It contains Regenerating Perennial Ryegrass seeds (RPR) exclusively developed by this manufacturer
- It offers exceptional drought tolerance
- It germinates faster than other brands and has strong recovery capacity
- It produces fine-textured turf
- Germination starts in less than one week after seeding
- It requires 30% less water
- Resistant to summer patch, dollar spot and, stem rush
- It contains 4 varieties of Kentucky Bluegrass seed, including Barrister and Barserati types
Item weight: 10lbs bag
This is one of the most resistant blends available in the market. There is no doubt that if you are planning to seed recreational or sport facilities, this is the product you should buy. Besides its extraordinary capacity to grow and develop faster than other seeds, it also results in beautiful grass.
5. Jacklin Seed – Biltmore Blue Blend – 100% Kentucky Bluegrass
This blend honors the preference of many lawn owners for Kentucky Bluegrass. Although it is a blend, all the varieties belong to this type of grass, and that is what makes it premium. They are all very resistant and suitable for cool-seasons.
The result is a turf with excellent percentages of germination with extraordinary color that performs well in landscapes and sods. Since the Jacklin fabricant offers and supports the product, you will have excellent chances to obtain great results.
- Seeds for elite/premium grass
- It works on cool-season climates with warm summers and very cold winters
- A 5lbs bag covers 2,000 sq. ft
- The mix contains a mixture of varieties of Kentucky Bluegrass that includes Everest, Jackpot, Nuglade, and Impact Kentucky Bluegrass in a proportion of 25% each
- The resulted grass is disease resistant and tolerant to shade and heat
- The germination percentage is 85% for each variety of Kentucky grass
Product dimensions: 15.28 x 11.02 x 2.99 inches
Item weight: 5 pounds
Manufacturer: Jacklin Seed by Simplot
This is a premium blend of Kentucky Bluegrass varieties that results in a very resistant turf. It is ideal for sports areas or with other high-traffic needs. Also, the varieties stand out for their fast germination process. So, if you are ready for a premium product, this is the way to go.
Certain features may vary according to the brand and technology that manufacturers use. So, considering that, these are some of the most important facts, you should check before you buy your bag/pack.
Pure or blended
Although the Kentucky Bluegrass has an excellent germination rate on its own, it is also possible to mix it with other varieties to get the best of it. In such cases, you may use varieties of bluegrass to maximize the Kentucky variety. Also, it is possible to mix it with warm-season grasses in order to guarantee full coverage for Summer months.
Certification of the seeds
Usually, you will find this certification in pure Kentucky Bluegrass seeds. This is an excellent way to acquire a product that guarantees the results. However, consider that the certification may differ from product to another and support different features. Therefore, check the label before you buy it.
Sun and shade
Kentucky Bluegrass needs sun to develop and doesn´t grow well under shade. However, you can find some blends that counteract this feature by adding a variety that tolerates shade. Again, it is important that you check the label to verify if it covers shade.
Price and coverage
There are many presentations and sizes of packs for Kentucky Bluegrass seeds. It is common that specs indicate the coverage either for new lawns or reseeding. Just check what your needs are and verify with the label.
You May Also Like: Best Bermuda Grass Seed
Q – Who makes the best bluegrass seed?
A-One of the brands that excel in Scotts. They have exclusive and patented technology, and customers claim they get excellent results. However, other brands offer additional features that are worthy of consideration.
Q – What is the best bluegrass blend?
A – If you opt for using blends, the varieties that better go with Kentucky Bluegrass are red fescue to provide more resistance to shade. Also, perennial ryegrass that germinates faster and allows a fair coverage while the other varieties come up.
How long does it take for Kentucky Bluegrass to germinate?
To sum up, the analysis and selection of the products above show us that you can easily take advantage of the best Kentucky Bluegrass seed. You only need to determine the needs of your soil and the overall conditions of your area, such as climate, sun, shade, and similar. Thankfully, some products that can please your needs regarding the quality of the seeds.