The best tall fescue grass Seed is recognizable by its sparkling green color and the size of the blades that cover the lawn. Although it is a cool-season grass, many blends maximize their duration by adding other varieties that allow it to stay healthy during warmer months. In any case, this grass looks amazing for many different purposes.
Table of Contents
- Top 5 Tall Fescue Grass Seed -List
- Choosing the Best Plant Tall Fescue Grass Seed
- The Best Time to Plant Tall Fescue Grass Seed
- How to Plant Tall Fescue Grass Seed
- Buying Guide
- How-to Plant a New Tall Fescue Lawn from Grass Seed
- Final Words
Top 5 Tall Fescue Grass Seed -List
Choosing the Best Plant Tall Fescue Grass Seed
Choosing the best seed for this variety of grass requires taking a look at the needs of your soil. But also taking a look at the special features of the seeds. Among them, the most outstanding are related to the blend and the technology. Considering that, we selected the best option you can find. See below to find the one that better goes for your lawn.
1. Pennington Smart Seed Tall Fescue Grass Seed
This is a premium blend of tall fescue grass seeds. Why is it premium? It starts with the Pennington´s exclusive smart technology named Penkoted. Also, the blend makes ideal for many climates and types of soil, including those poorly drained.
Moreover, it is highly resistant to the point that it can resists diseases, drought, heat, cold, and shade. As a result, you can enjoy a dark green lawn with extraordinary resilience.
- It grows cool-season grass, fine-bladed that is also aggressive and perennial
- High resistance to heat, drought, and disease
- Seeds include exclusive Pennington´s Penkoted technology that promotes healthier and thicker grass
- Adaptable to many soils, including poorly drained soils
- The content of 7 pounds covers up 1750 sq. ft
- The watering requirements are 30% lower than other regular grass seeds
- It is a lower growing blend
- Suitable for the transition zone
- Product dimensions: 16.5 x 7.5 x 3.55 inches
- Item weight: 7.13 pounds
- Manufacturer: Central Garden & Pet
Without a doubt, it is the top choice for premium quality seekers. Moreover, other features such as the low maintenance and the special dark green color of the grass make it even more special. They all make an irresistible bonus when you chose this product.
2. Pennington Kentucky 31 Tall Fescue Grass Seed 25-50 lbs
Besides the natural benefits of tall fescue grass seeds, this product contains Kentucky Bluegrass. It makes it suitable for growing grass all year round. It is fairway grass seed, also it grows really well in shaded areas. Those seeking the most traditional variety of tall fescue grass find this product excellent due that it keeps its original features. Among them, the coarser texture of the blade, which makes it look more natural.
- It develops well either in areas with full sun or medium-shade
- Seeds include exclusive Pennington´s Penkoted technology that promotes healthier grow and protects from a deadly fungus
- The package covers up to 6,250 sq. ft
- The germination time is 14 days
- The seeds produce grass with coarse texture to the touch
- Product dimensions: 3.75 x 16.5 x 26.5 inches
- Item weight: 25 pounds
- Manufacturer: CENTRAL Garden & Pet
This product truly honors the brand Pennington. It has its best features, and the selection of seeds to create the blend is really remarkable. If you are in areas with climates that vary between cold and warms, this is definitively a product to consider.
This selection of seeds is aimed at retaining more moisture than any other product. It does it by using a special coating. As a result, the grass it produces works well for your lawn or for forage. Also, it is suitable for both sun and shade, and it thrives in both of them.
- Seeds are fully coated and can retain more moisture for longer periods
- The 5lbs package covers up to 1,000 sq. ft
- It can be used as a forage or turf grass
- Product dimensions: 5 x 17 x 9 inches
- Item weight: 4.89 pounds
- Manufacturer: DLF
Although this product doesn´t have the back up of a big brand, it results remarkably effective. Its special blend is perfect for sun and shade. Also, its coating makes it strong and resistant to diseases that usually come with this type of seeds.
4. GreenView best turf type tall fescue grass seed
This is the best tall fescue blend that surely covers both environments really well such as sun & shade. This is possible due to the high quality of its seeds. It allows the seeds to develop naturally but strong. Although they are not coated, its percentage of germination is high enough to consider it a premium product.
- Blend of tall fescue varieties
- It is 99.9% free of weeds and brown resistant
- Germination time in 7-14 days
- Traffic resistant from children as well as pets
- Uncoated seeds with premium quality
- The content covers 2,500 sq. Ft for new lawns and 5,000 sq. ft for overseeding lawn
- It requires at least 1 inch of water per week
- Product dimensions: 30 x 17 x 4.25 inches
- Item weight: 22.5 pounds
- Manufacturer: Lebanon Seaboard Corporation
If your lawn tends to have weeds, this is the best option you can try. These seeds are 99.9% free of weeds, and that guarantees that you help to solve that major problem from the very beginning. Also, they are not coated, and the manufacturer selected some of the best varieties with the best quality. It means that you have a more natural product with the same effect and quality than other coated seeds.
5. Pennington Lawn Booster Tall Fescue Grass Seed
Here, the manufacturers took all their chances to maximize the function of the seeds. They made an all-in-one formula that will bring benefits for the grass during the entire process. Also, its blend of selected seeds from the best tall fescue grass adds another element that contributes to empowering it.
- Triple formula all-in-one that includes seed, fertilizer and soil enhancer
- Recommended for cool-season grass
- Blend of grass varieties
- Seeds are smart and resistant to heat, drought, and disease
- The content covers up to 1,200 sq. ft
- Each year it uses 30% less water
- Product dimensions: 16 x 7.5 x 3.55 inches
- Item weight: 9.68 pounds
- Manufacturer: Central Garden & Pet
If you are looking for seeds that take the planting process ahead, this is the way to go. This is a total innovation that increases the chances to develop a better and more beautiful lawn.
The Best Time to Plant Tall Fescue Grass Seed
When to plant tall fescue grass? Since tall fescue grass is a cool-season grass, the best time to plant is late fall or early spring. It guarantees that they have the right conditions of temperature and climate they need to grow up well and strong.
However, many packs contain blend with warm-season seeds, and the time to plant it may vary according to specific instructions of the manufacturers. So, it will depend on the presentation of the product to decide.
How to Plant Tall Fescue Grass Seed
Planting tall fescue grass begins with proper preparation of the soil. This grass thrives in many types of soil. But if you want to guarantee a healthy lawn, it is better to lose the soil and remove all the weeds.
Then, you just need to add the seeds into a spreader according to the proportions specified by the manufacturer. Most of the time, it requires only one process, but occasionally, you might need to reseed after a short period.
There are countless products in the marketplace, and that might be overwhelming for many buyers. But you don´t have to worry because most of the fabricants take care of including a lot of information in their labels. That helps you make well-informed decisions that benefit your grass.
Since tall fescue grass has many special features, below are some of the most important issues you should consider at when trying to decide the best product for you.
Times of application
There are products for the most devoted caregivers for their grasses and others for the most practical and busy lawn owners. In this sense, some products require only one application, and others require several rounds. Therefore, check the label to make sure you get what you really want.
If you opt for planting a pure variety of tall fescue, the most important thing to verify is the quality of the seeds. In this sense, manufacturers usually add relevant information that allows you to check the resistance and other features.
Blend of Seeds
Many packs contain a blend of seeds. Therefore, you must check the additional qualities and benefits that each additional type of seed may add to your lawn. Many times, such blend consists of other varieties of fescue grass.
Other times they consist of adding different grass varieties to help the survival of the grass during other seasons. Due that tall fescue is a cool-season grass, many opt for mixing it warm-season grasses to guarantee they have a nice yard the entire year.
Currently, the coating is part of the most advanced features that seeds of any type of grass may have. So, if you are trying to find the strongest seeds, the coating is an excellent choice. There are several types of coating, and they provide different benefits. You can check what you need most for your lawn according to the special needs of your soil and climate.
Additional benefits of the Seeds
Some manufacturers use the seeds to add other elements that benefit your grass in the future. Some of them may include fertilizers or weed killers, among others. Although the price of the product might be a little higher, it can be an excellent way to reinforce the growth of healthier, thicker, and greener grass.
How-to Plant a New Tall Fescue Lawn from Grass Seed
In short, selecting the best tall fescue grass seed is not a complicated process when you know well the benefits and downsides of the seeds. When you combine that information with the special requirements of your soil, you can guarantee the most beautiful lawns. Healthy, green, and thick tall fescue grass is at the finger of your tips.