Selecting the best weed and feed for Southern Lawns requires that you understand certain specifications. Elements such as climate, type of soil, sun exposure, and others determine that they need to contain special features. Fortunately, the fabricants are constantly innovating to provide the best benefits.
Therefore, if you are a proud owner of a Southern lawn, you can rest assured that you will find the best option for your property. To help you decide and guarantee a thicker and greener, here we researched and selected the best options. They all have the perfect balance between formulas, price, applying technology, and high quality.
What kind of results can I expect from using the weed and feed for Southern lawns?
Using one of these products will provide amazing benefits that start by using the proper type of weed and feed for your type of lawn. In this sense, the first requirement is that your lawn is in a Southern area.
For instance, some states located in that area, such as Florida, do not allow using Phosphorus as part of the content of any fertilizer. Therefore, fabricants can´t include it in the N.P.K. ratio of the formula. Other benefits include the following:
- 2-in-1 formulas that ease the process of fertilizing and fighting weeds in just one step.
- Saving cost and time as both products are included in one package with a better price than those sold separately
- The weed formula doesn´t kill the grass as it is meant to work along with the fertilizer
The Best Time to Apply Weed and Feed for Southern Lawns
The best time varies according to the specific weed and feed. However, it is common that the best time is either Spring or Fall seasons. Some products recommend applying it twice a year. Others indicate specific times of each season to make sure you obtain the maximum benefit. In any case, the best strategy is to check the label of the product to find timing recommendations.
How to Add Weed and Feed for Southern Lawns
The best products come in two presentations:
- Traditional granular: To add this version is recommended to use spreaders that may vary according to your own taste and budget.
- Liquids: These versions usually come with their applicators and require connecting them to a hose. They are very practical and come ready to use and apply.
For both types, your grass must be already grown. This is not a starter fertilizer. So, considering all the above, below you will find the best options for weed and feed for Southern lawns.
Top 10 Weed and Feed for Southern Lawns (Best Seller)
In a hurry? Check the bestseller top weed and feed for Southern Lawns from Amazon. Just check the product link, the details and price.
Top 5 Weed and Feed for Southern Lawns (Our Picks)
1. Scotts Liquid Turf Builder with Plus 2 Weed Control Fertilizer
And Scotts did it again with this Plus 2 Weed Control Fertilizer. The greatest news is that it didn´t settle with the product, but it also innovated with the application mechanism. And it is easy and practical to apply. Even newbies who start taking care of their lawns will find this product right.
Due that it kills a wide variety of weeds, it is also perfect for many grass types. Although it contains an exclusive Scotts´ formula, its main ingredient continues to be the Nitrogen, which is considered very effective as fertilizer.
- It fertilizes in just 24 hours
- It kills weeds and fertilizes all at once
- The coverage reaches up to 6,000 sq. ft
- It attacks dandelions, clover, chickweed, ground ivy, lambs’ quarters, pigweed, poison ivy, oxalis, spurge, buckhorn, ragweed, plantain, henbit, and knotweed effectively.
- The application mechanism consists of spray and hose
- The fertilizer contains Nitrogen
Product dimensions: 4.76 x 9.75 x 2.43 inches
Item weight: 2.7 pounds
A weed and feed product are already an incredible product. And adding the fantastic mechanism of application with this spray makes it very practical. If you are seeking an easy to apply the product, this is the right for you. Due that the fabricant is the brand Scotts, it also has excellent support to take the risk.
2. Scotts Turf Builder Southern Triple Action
A 2-in-one weed and feed for Southern lawns formula are excellent but adding an additional benefit to the equation is even better. In this case, Scotts Turf Builder Southern Triple Action not only kills but prevents the growth of weeds. It offers the maximum guarantee that your lawn will grow healthy and weed-free.
- It is a fertilizer that also kills and prevents weeds
- The total coverage is 8,000 sq. ft
- It feeds the grass to protect it against heat and drought
- It is recommended for Centipede grass, Zoysia grass, Carpet grass, and St. Augustin grass, including the Floratam variety.
- It kills plantain, henbit, oxalis, and clover weeds
- It kills and prevents the following weeds: mole crickets, sod webworms, fire ants, fleas, ticks, armyworms.
- Kills and prevents for up to 6 months
Product dimensions: 18 x 4 x 12 inches
Item weight: 26.6 pounds
Although it is a traditional presentation that requires preparation, the triple formula makes it worthy of trying. It is very specific about the types of grasses, so it is easy to determine if it fits your lawn. If your lawn is prone to weeds, this is definitively the choice for you.
3. Bio Advanced 3-in-1 Feed and Weed
- The triple formula that fertilizes, greens, and strengthens the lawn
- The slow-release formula in 50%
- Recommended for St. Augustine grass, including Floratam, Zoysia grass, Bermudagrass, and Centipede grass
- It prevents the appearance of broadleaf and grassy weeds
- The preventive effect for weeds lasts up to 6 months
- The package covers up to 5,000 sq. ft
Product dimensions: 15 x 12 x 3 inches
Item weight: 12.03 pounds
Manufacturer: SBM Life Science
This is an excellent product to nurture your lawn. Killing and preventing weeds is an important part of developing the yard. Ans by using a more powerful formula, this product allows you to develop a better lawn. If you are seeking perfection, this is a great option to consider.
4. Scotts Southern Turf Builder Lawn Food
The best guarantee to avoid the appearance of weeds continues to be building strong roots. To do so, this fertilizer promotes their growth to the point they can resist the most stressful situations. That may include not only weeds but bad weather and activities.
- This product is formulated for Southern Lawns only
- Includes “All-in-One Particles” technology that allows a uniform distribution of the product when you apply it.
- The fertilizer helps to protect against heat and drought
- Suitable for any grass type
- One package covers up to 10,000 sq. ft
- N.P.K. ratio is 32.0.10
Product dimensions: 20.1 x 4.1 x 13.1 inches
Item weight: 28.4 pounds
Manufacturer: Scotts – Mixing Warehouse Items
When you know that nurturing your lawn is the priority, this is the perfect product for that. And, automatically, the lawn will also obtain an ally to fight against weeds. Also, this product is flexible enough to use it all year round and on any type of Southern grass. It makes an ideal choice if you are not sure about the details of your grass and want no mistakes.
5. Scotts Turf Builder Weed and Feed 3
This is a new and improved version of a previous Scotts´ weed and feed fertilizer. And, this time is bulletproof for dandelions and clover. Such power comes from its exclusive Weed grip technology that allows
attacking those weeds, you don´t see yet. As a result, the fertilizer is more prone to deliver effects to obtain thicker and greener grass.
- The power to kill dandelions and clover got expanded by 2 when compared to the previous formula.
- Offers Weed grip technology to kill weeds that you see and don´t see
- This package covers up to 5,000 sq. ft
Product dimensions: 2.33 x 5.5 x 11.25 inches
Item weight: 2.8 pounds
Manufacturer: Scotch Blue
If your main concern is clovers and dandelions, then this is the weed and feed you must try. Since it is Scott's product, you can rest assured you will have some benefits.
Whenever you buy weed and feed products, it is important to consider the features of the product and those about your lawn. Although Southern lawns are in the same area, certain circumstances make that each one has different needs. So, check below what are some of the requirements that you need to check.
Times of application
Weed and feed products usually require one or two applications per year. And, every product has its own specifications. It will depend on the special formula that the fabricant offers and, ultimately, the needs of your lawn.
Weed and feed products come at different prices. Some elements, such as the brand and the type of application, influence this aspect. Also, the size of the bag and the content. You must measure the size of your lawn so that you can select the proper amount of product.
Each lawn has its own features and may have different needs. You need to check if the needs are more oriented to fight against weeds or nurture the grass. Considering that, you should check the formulas and see the ratio content of the fertilizer. Also, the type of product that is used for the weeds.
Q – How do I know the nitrogen requirements for my lawn?
A – If the color of the existing grass is too brown or yellow, then you should find a higher concentration of Nitrogen.
Q – Do weed and feed products contain herbicides?
A – Some of them contain herbicides. You should check the labels and verify if they do and the exact amount that they include.
Q – Will weed and feed burn my existing grass?
A – No, it won´t. However, if your grass is too weak and you have doubts, you can opt for a slow release of Nitrogen to reduce even more the possibilities that it happens.
The Benefits of Feeding The Lawn
Since Southern lawns have specific needs, it is fair that you try to use the best weed and feed for Southern Lawns that better suit your lawn´s needs. Fortunately, there are excellent options, and this list provides the nest ones.